It is apparent that inflammation is a major force behind both Multiple Sclerosis Disease (MSD) and CardioVascular disease (CVD). During Multiple Sclerosis Disease exacerbations, inflammation is even more apparent; and likewise during cardiovascular events. Also, patients with persistent inflammation have a poorer outcome. Moreover, both Multiple Sclerosis Disease and CardioVascular Disease are made worse by psychological stress as well as oxidative stress. Bridging the intervention gap between MSD and CVD may occur when inflammation, among other things, is addressed through healthy lifestyle measures. See references below.
1. Immunology. 2010 Feb;129(2):154-69. Inflammation in neurodegenerative diseases.
Amor S, Puentes F, Baker D, van der Valk P.
2. J Neurol Sci. 2011 Jul 15;306(1-2):167-9. Epub 2010 Aug 16.
Pathophysiology of inflammation and tissue injury in multiple sclerosis: what are the targets for therapy.
3. J Cardiol. 2009 Jun;53(3):317-33. Epub 2009 Jan 29.
Inflammatory biomarkers in coronary artery disease.
Zakynthinos E, Pappa N.
4. Brain Nerve. 2008 Feb;60(2):157-70.
The role for oxidative stress in neurodegenerative diseases
Shibata N, Kobayashi M.
5. Pol Merkur Lekarski. 2009 Dec;27(162):499-502.
Oxidative stress in multiple sclerosis
Miller E, Mrowicka M, Zo?y?ski K, Kedziora J.
6. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2005 Jan;25(1):29-38. Epub 2004 Nov 11.
Oxidative stress and vascular disease.
Madamanchi NR, Vendrov A, Runge MS.
7. PLoS One. 2011 Jan 13;6(1):e16149.
Smoking and multiple sclerosis: an updated meta-analysis.
Handel AE, Williamson AJ, Disanto G, Dobson R, Giovannoni G, Ramagopalan SV.
8. Chest. 2009 Jul;136(1):212-9. Epub 2009 Feb 18.
A pilot study to examine the effects of smoking cessation on serum markers of inflammation in women at risk for cardiovascular disease.
Reichert V, Xue X, Bartscherer D, Jacobsen D, Fardellone C, Folan P, Kohn N, Talwar A, Metz CN.
9. JAMA. 2003 Mar 26;289(12):1533-6.
Multiple sclerosis and Epstein-Barr virus.
Levin LI, Munger KL, Rubertone MV, Peck CA, Lennette ET, Spiegelman D, Ascherio A.
Am J Pathol. 2009 Jul;175(1):440-7.
10. Epstein-barr virus-induced gene-3 is expressed in human atheroma plaques.
Kempe S, Heinz P, Kokai E, Devergne O, Marx N, Wirth T.
11. Angiology. 2010 Feb-Mar;61(1):31-6. Epub 2009 Jun 3.
Arterial compliance in multiple sclerosis: a pilot study.
Fjeldstad C, Frederiksen C, Fjeldstad AS, Bemben M, Pardo G.
12. Heart Dis. 2000 Sep-Oct;2(5):375-9.
On arterial physiology, pathophysiology of vascular compliance, and cardiovascular disease.
13. Mind Brain. 2011 Aug;2(1):32-37.
Anxiety and cardiovascular risk: Review of Epidemiological and Clinical Evidence.
Olafiranye O, Jean-Louis G, Zizi F, Nunes J, Vincent M.
14. Mult Scler. 2008 Nov;14(9):1262-8. Epub 2008 Aug 28.
Influence of anxiety and reported stressful life events on relapses in multiple sclerosis: a prospective study.
Potagas C, Mitsonis C, Watier L, Dellatolas G, Retziou A, Mitropoulos P, Sfagos C, Vassilopoulos D.
15. Future Cardiol. 2009 Jul;5(4):333-42.
Astaxanthin, oxidative stress, inflammation and cardiovascular disease.
Fassett RG, Coombes JS.
What can be done?
- Vitamin D3 5,000 iu daily
- Astaxanthin 5 mg daily
- THE ESSENTIALS 2 TABLETS TWICE DAILY
To Your Better Health
Dr. Rudy Cartwtight, MS Health Coach
PS: Post your comments. Let me hear from you.